The Met Office has issued a yellow ‘be aware’ warning for winds across South West Scotland, Lothian and Borders.
In response, Edinburgh Council has released some advice advising residents how to stay safe and avoid damage to property.
Before the storm you can prepare
- secure loose objects that could be blown away
- lock doors and windows, and especially large doors such as those on garages
- park vehicles in a garage or keep them clear of buildings, trees, walls and fences
- close and secure loft trapdoors
- if chimney stacks are tall and in poor condition, move beds away from areas directly below them.
During the storm you should
- stay indoors
- not go outside to repair damage.
If you do go out
- try not to walk or shelter close to buildings and trees
- enter and leave your house through doors in the sheltered side
- keep internal doors closed.
Do not drive unless your journey is really necessary. If you have to drive
- slow down and be aware of side winds on exposed routes such as bridges, or high open roads
- take particular care if you are towing or driving a high sided vehicle.
You can get up to date information from Police Scotland Twitter and from Transport Scotland Twitter.