The Scottish Book Trust has announced that as part of Book Week Scotland, running from Monday 21 November to Sunday 27 November 2016, every Primary 1 child in Scotland will receive three free picture books.
The books will be included in the Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag containing:
- There’s a Bear on My Chair by Ross Collins,
- Hare and Tortoise by Alison Murray
- Shark in the Park on a Windy Day by Nick Sharratt.
- An activity booklet filled with games and activities for you and your child to enjoy
- Colouring pencils to use with the activity book or on their own
- A magnetic whiteboard with a set of magnetic numbers, and a whiteboard pen
- A voting slip so your child can choose and vote for their favourite book in The Bookbug Picture Book Prize
Marc Lambert, Chief Executive of Scottish Book Trust, said:
The beginning of school is the point at which books start to become associated with learning in a child’s mind. The Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag has been designed to show children how pleasurable and fun reading can be. The intention is to help them to get more out of school and inspire them to seek out and devour more books.
Book Week Scotland is a week-long celebration of books and reading that takes place every November.
During Book Week, people of all ages and walks of life will come together in libraries, schools, community venues and workplaces to share and enjoy books and reading. They will be joined in this celebration by Scotland’s authors, poets, playwrights, storytellers and illustrators to bring a packed programme of events and projects to life.