The Broomhouse Centre has announced they have raised the funds to sign a contract with Graham Construction for the building of a new community hub: a total project value of £3m, commencing 18 June 2018.
The new hub will:
- Be a Social Space, where local people can gather in a central café space
- Provide training and employment opportunities, rooted within our catering expertise
- A space for starting enterprises – social enterprises or own businesses
- A space for Young People, including space for creative and physical activities
- A space for Older people’s Well-being and health, especially those who are isolated
- A space for parents and toddlers, with a soft play facility
- Provide increased income generation for sustainability
- To aim to grow to be open to the public, seven days a week, 12 hours a day
Broomhouse Centre & Enterprises have received funding for the construction from the Big Lottery Fund, Scottish Government’s Regeneration Capital Grant Fund, in partnership with the City of Edinburgh Council, as well as The Robertson Trust, Resilient Scotland, Clothworkers Foundation, Tudor Trust, Crerar Hotels, R S MacDonald Trust and Robert Barr Charitable Trust, and other Trusts.
Bridie Ashrowan, Chief Executive said:
Thank you from the community and ourselves, to all of our funders who have got alongside this us to create a new hub at its heart for the future.
We will continue with all our existing services beside the site at St David’s Church for one year until the new hub opens, the café, the catering social enterprise and all our services for young and old.
We have an on-going fundraising target of £500,000! This is to be able to complete the building: the garden, suitable for all, the very young and old, including people with dementia, and the furnishings, such as kit for a cinema night. If members of the community want to donate, our ‘Buy a brick’ for £10 campaign, will help us reach our target. ” We want it to be a truly vibrant centre.
Welcoming contract signing, Valerie Jackman, the Chairperson of Broomhouse Centre & Enterprises said:
This is a very exciting time for The Broomhouse Centre. The staff work relentlessly to deliver a range of truly amazing services for the community, and the positive impact these services have is clear for all to see. Having a new purpose built Hub will not only allow us to continue this great work, it will enable us to grow and flourish at the heart of the community.