WHALE Arts is recruiting a 12 month fixed term Head of Operations and Development post.
The post is full-time working 35 hours per week with a salary of £35,000.
The Head of Operations and Development is a new fixed term role. This role has been created as the current Chief Executive will be going on a 12-month secondment from August 2022. Our current Head of Programmes and Projects will step into the role of Interim Chief Executive for 12 months and the new Head of Operations and Development will become a key member of the management team working closely with the Interim Chief Executive in the running of the organisation. The Head of Operations and Development will support general operations, finance, funding, HR, and related operational project management.
Scope of the Job
- Support the development, implementation, and monitoring of strategic and operational plans with the Interim Chief Executive and Board.
- Ensure that the vision, mission and values of WHALE Arts and its membership respond to the needs and requests of local people, and align with local authority and government strategies.
- To work with Finance Officer and Interim Chief Executive to ensure sound financial processes are in place and implemented.
- Set and regularly monitor operational project budgets.
- Work with the Interim Chief Executive and the Finance Officer on the production of bi-monthly management accounts and with Interim Chief Executive, Finance Officer, Board and accountant on the audited annual accounts.
- Liaise with Finance Officer and external payroll administrator to ensure payroll information is accurate on a weekly and monthly basis.
Fundraising & Income Generation
- Contribute to funding applications working closely with the Fundraising Manager and the Interim Chief Executive that support the core work of the organisation.
- Work with the Interim Chief Executive and Fundraising Manager to increase income from fundraising, general donations and existing and new unrestricted income streams.
People Management – Staff, Freelancers, Volunteers
- Oversee general HR including recruitment procedures, day-to-day staffing, annual leave, sickness leave and salaries and work with the Interim Chief Executive to support staff performance and wellbeing.
- Line manage operational staff according to set policies and procedures.
- Lead on organising internal and external staff and volunteer training.
- Ensure policies and procedures are up to date and develop new policies and procedures.
- Deputise for Interim Chief Executive and other management during leave.
- Attend board meetings with Interim Chief Executive, and when required make presentations, provide updates before, during and occasionally in between board meetings.
- Support the board and Interim Chief Executive to organise and prepare for the AGM and any other general meetings.
Data, Evaluation, Reporting
- Lead on data collection for the organisation and coordinating the monitoring and evaluation of organisational activity.
- Co-lead on Annual Report and with Interim Chief Executive ensure other reports required for OSCR, Companies House are complete and submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure the organisation is compliant with GDPR.
Facilities, Operations, Reception
- Lead on strategic planning and implementation of operational projects and developments.
- Manage and support the operational team who are responsible for building and facilities management and front of house administration.
- Oversee and support the operational team with building risk assessments and health and safety.
- Be a key holder, share the role of ‘manager on duty’ and open and secure the building out of office hours where required.
Marketing and Communications
- Working with other operational staff to ensure the marketing of the organisation is of the highest quality and reflects the values and aims of WHALE Arts.
- Occasionally represent WHALE Arts at networks and events.
- Working with other operational staff to project manage the development of a new website in 22-23, following the launch of WHALE Arts rebrand.
Community and Network Development, Regeneration and Placemaking
- Support the Interim Chief Executive with to ensure continued involvement in current partnerships with partners – including supporting and contributing to the Local Place Plan which is led by the Wester Hailes Community Trust; involvement in Living Well Wester Hailes, South West Voluntary Sector Forum and the Go Beyond network for South West Edinburgh; and the new Creative Community Hubs network.
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line Head of Operations, attaching:
- An up-to-date CV detailing relevant education and employment experience.
- A covering letter demonstrating how your skills meet the person specification (maximum 2 pages)
- Details of two referees, including at least one previous employer.
Closing 11am Friday 10 June 2022. For more information or any queries please email Leah on email@example.com or phone WHALE Arts reception on 0141 458 3267 to arrange a conversation.