NHS Scotland are recruiting a Medical Receptionist based at Wester Hailes Healthy Living Centre.
The post is permanent working 18 hours per week with a salary of £21,709 – £23,603 FTE.
Job Purpose and Activities
To provide a high quality professional secretarial and administrative service to patients, doctors, staff, colleagues, health service professionals and others. To act as a point of contact for patients contacting their Practice and to portray the Practice in the highest possible professional basis.
- Acting as first point of contact for clinicians and other members of multi-disciplinary team, responsible for managing mail, telephone calls, face to face and electronic communications from clinical and non-clinical staff, patients, relatives, carers and external agencies, responding where appropriate; prioritising and redirecting or escalating as required to clinicians or line manager to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery
- Produce accurate clinical correspondence for inpatients and outpatients by use of audio typing, copy typing and speech recognition transcription (where available) including operation notes, discharge letters, outpatient letters, departmental specific/legislative and Tribunal reports
- Access and update clinicians’/MDT diaries on request and escalate, where appropriate, to resolve diary conflicts.
- Participate in the organisation of events as required, supporting with e.g. booking, organising travel and registration.
- General administrative duties including filing, photocopying, stationery ordering, and booking meetings and rooms.
- Access and use the required patient information management systems for the recording, storage and retrieval of patient information as required by members of the MDT.
- Data input to and/or extraction from databases or spreadsheets, reporting and producing correspondence as required the clinician / service.
- Organise and / or attend department meetings as required and take minutes, specifying decisions made and appropriate follow-up actions required for subsequent approval by the senior member of the group.
- Set up / maintain office administration systems as required to assist in the smooth running of the department.
- When required, assist with the orientation of new / temporary staff including junior doctors and medical students, and promote team working.
- Adhere to all confidential and sensitive information as per the Data Protection Act (1998) and NHS Lothian policies.
- Acquire and maintain Medical Terminology to support development in role.
- Attend regular team meetings to discuss work issues.
- Provide flexible cover and backup support for other members of the team as required.
- Responsible for coding of new patient records when previous notes received using SCIMP codes to ensure electronic patient records are up-to-date at all times.
- Code new diagnoses when requested by GPs, from hospital correspondence etc to ensure that electronic patient records are up-to-date at all times.
The deadline for applications is 6 June 2022. You can read the full job description and apply for the post online here.