Holy Trinity Church is looking for a Volunteers Co-ordinator/Cafe Manager for the Bridge Community Cafe in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh.
The post is part time working 24 hours per week with a salary of £13,100 per year (£23,400 pro rata for 37.5 hour week).
Purpose of Job
This role is to provide supervision and “hands on” support to the Cook and Volunteers who work in the Bridge Community Café in Wester Hailes.
The Café Manager / Volunteers Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and training a team of volunteers who will work in the Bridge Community Café each week. There is a need to recruit some more regular volunteers who can share the workload and cover holidays etc. The postholder will provide support and work alongside these volunteers on each of the three days of Café opening.
In addition, the postholder will work with a paid Cook who is already in post. The postholder will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Café and also for its future development. Previous catering experience in a café or restaurant or customer facing job will be needed in order to develop the Bridge Community Café to be an attractive place for its customers.
The café is increasingly busy but there is an on-going need to increase local awareness through marketing and social media to attract new customers into the café. The postholder will be responsible for raising local awareness of all the café has to offer.
You will be responsible for devising a menu (in conjunction with the Cook) that is nutritious and appealing to our customers. Compliance with Environmental Health standards and all food hygiene standards, including allergen information, and knowledge of healthy eating guidance will be important.
You will keep records that are needed for Environmental Health purposes and information about volunteer training.
Role and Responsibilities
- Volunteers’ Recruiting and Training – both in Customer Service and Catering skills. To ensure sufficient trained volunteers are available to run the service, covering food purchase, cooking, serving and cleaning up. The café should operate to high food hygiene standards using HACCP management processes. You will recruit volunteers as needed, liaising with Holy Trinity Church and other organisations who may have contacts to help with recruitment of volunteers.
- Oversight of Catering standards: To devise café menus along with the Café Cook, meeting the goals of good nutrition and affordability.
- Maintaining Records: of volunteers, training, refresher training, environmental health record and
schedules, equipment maintenance contracts.
- Line Manager for Café Cook: To continue to support and develop the Café Cook in all aspects of their role. To hold regular 1:2:1 meetings with the Cook for this purpose and to address any issues of concern for either party.
- Buying stores: To make arrangements for food ingredients and other supplies to be collected or delivered to the cafe when needed.
- Café takings: To oversee customer payment arrangements (cash, card payments etc.) and cashing up at the end of each café day.
- Morning Prayers – You will oversee a brief prayer time with the café team each morning the café is open.
- Marketing the Café: To create a positive image of the café, extensively publicised in all the local support agencies of Wester Hailes – the Healthy Living Centre, Job Centre, shopping centre and others.
- Café Promotions: To devise, promote and implement special themes/events that would increase community awareness of the café e.g. at Easter, Christmas or other national events e.g. the MacMillan coffee morning, Children in Need.
- Working with other ministry areas in Holy Trinity: To liaise with the Youth Café, Food Bank, CAP and the Counselling Service as needed. Occasionally advising and supporting those who may be arranging catering for special events after services on a Sunday.
- Working with other Community Groups: To continue working partnerships with local agencies e.g. Edible Estates, Canal View Primary School Garden, Wester Hailes Eats Together and being a venue for community meals. To work with the Edinburgh Community Café Network and using their resources when helpful to the café and its’ goals.
- Development of Café: To oversee the week by week running of the Bridge Community Café and, in conjunction with the Café & Food Bank Team Lead, develop and execute an Annual Café Development Plan. The Annual Development Plan should positively promote the cafe to those we wish to help and support in our community.
- Covid-19 – You will be responsible for ensuring that any required Covid-19 mitigation measures are in place and that staff/volunteers are adhering to these.
You can read the full job description and download an application pack on their website here. The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Friday 30th September.
If you have any questions or would like an informal chat about the role, or the application process, please contact: Fiona Stirrat: email@example.com