Summer is hopefully just round the corner so Police Scotland have released some Summer home safety advice to make sure you can focus on enjoying any sun!
With the longer days and warmer weather more people will be having fun outdoors in the garden or playing sports, or if you are lucky going on holiday.
Regardless of what you are doing, it’s really important that you think about home safety. So think about the following:
– Always lock your doors and windows – especially when you’re spending time in the garden or outdoors. Keep your home securely locked at all times.
– Don’t leave valuables in full view in your home. It could tempt opportunist thieves as they pass windows.
– Don’t leave keys on the inside of door locks, under mats or anywhere else an intruder may easily find them.
– Security mark your property with a UV marker pen. You can use this pen to place an invisible imprint of your postcode and house number on your possessions.
– Record details of your valuables, such as mobile phones, cameras, laptops and tablets on the national mobile property register at www.immobilise.com.
– If you have a wall calendar, avoid mounting it near a window from where appointments can potentially be seen – this may give an indication of when a property will be empty.
– If going on holiday, use timers on lights and if you have an alarm then make sure it’s set.
– Don’t broadcast on social media that you’re going on holiday – criminals can search for this kind of information to identify empty houses.