The City of Edinburgh Council are recruiting a fixed term Library Supervisor position based at Wester Hailes library.
The post is full-time working 36 hours per week fixed term until 31/08/2024 with a salary of £24,890 – £28,854.
Purpose of Job
To ensure consistent, high standards of excellent customer services through supervising, directing, monitoring and training of staff to organise and present services to maximum attraction and advantage for all customers, within a Lifelong Learning setting, e.g. libraries and community centres.
The postholder will ensure that the service is delivered in line with national, citywide and local strategic priorities, and will support service delivery in accordance with Council and national guidelines, and will work to maximise the effective use and promotion of these services.
- Ensure that effective arrangements are in place to provide prompt, high standard and welcoming customer focused services
- Day to day supervision, training, coaching, directing and monitoring of staff team
- Coach and support the team in library processes, managing conflicting priorities, and challenging behaviour situations with the promotion of a positive and flexible attitude, following appropriate guidelines and procedures
- Encourage and motivate staff to contribute to the operation and development of the service for all customers
- Oversee the provision of a general reception to users of services and facilities
- Support the promotion and development of use of the service through new initiatives, existing provision, and front line delivery
- Support the Team Leader to identify customer and service needs and deliver service to meet these needs within agreed framework. Consult with customers and partners, to inform and positively promote service improvements and developments, and support local community engagement activities
- Develop and deliver programmes of activities and promote literacy and a joy of reading and learning to a wide range of customers including children and young people, and people from groups with protected characteristics
- Assist planning of and participate in rollout of new initiatives to meet both city wide and local needs, as commissioned by the service
- Ensure sensitive and personal information is handled in line with appropriate policies and confidentiality guidelines
- Deliver customer consultation activities to inform and positively promote service improvements and developments, and support local community engagement activities
- Assist customer access to information, learning and reading resources identifying and signposting materials, organising or delivering a range of events and activities
- Identify service requirements and coordinate the preparation of relevant support materials, e.g. booklists, curriculum support materials, project boxes, including where required input to the design and preparation of support and marketing materials
- Oversee, monitor and support effective customer use of library technology with emphasis on encouraging digital inclusion, curriculum support and enhanced learning experience
- Plan for the introduction of new services, work with team members to deliver and support new initiatives to ensure that all services are planned in a manner consistent with the Council’s strategic objectives
Identify operational issues and improvements, new development opportunities and partnerships
Develop partnerships in response to identified need
- Provide assistance to Team Leaders and Senior Managers as required
- Ensure day to day facility management such as building maintenance checks, fire equipment checks, risk assessments etc. are carried out and recorded
You can read the full job description, person specification and apply for the post online here. The closing date for applications is 25 October 2023.