NHS Scotland are recruiting a Medical Receptionist based at Wester Hailes Healthy Living Centre.
The post is permanent working 20 hours per week, with a salary of £23,362 – £25,368, pro-rata for part-time.
To provide comprehensive medical secretarial and administrative support to clinicians and other members of the multi professional team
- Acting as first point of contact for clinicians and other members of multi-disciplinary team,
- responsible for managing mail, telephone calls, face to face and electronic communications from
- clinical and non-clinical staff, patients, relatives, carers and external agencies, responding where
- appropriate; prioritising and redirecting or escalating as required to clinicians or line manager to
- ensure efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery.
- Produce accurate clinical correspondence for inpatients and outpatients by use of audio typing,
copy typing and speech recognition transcription (where available) including operation notes,
discharge letters, outpatient letters, departmental specific/legislative and Tribunal reports.
- Access and update clinicians’/MDT diaries on request and escalate, where appropriate, to resolve
- Participate in the organisation of events as required, supporting with e.g. booking, organising travel
- General administrative duties including filing, photocopying, stationery ordering, and booking
- meetings and rooms.
- Access and use the required patient information management systems for the recording, storage
and retrieval of patient information as required by members of the MDT.
- Data input to and/or extraction from databases or spreadsheets, reporting and producing
correspondence as required the clinician / service.
- Process and appoint patient referrals to appropriate clinics and assist in maintaining appropriate
follow-up systems. The post-holder is expected to escalate to line manager when appointment is
not able to be met within the required timescale and in line with Standard Operation Procedures.
- Organise and / or attend department meetings as required and take minutes, specifying decisions
made and appropriate follow-up actions required for subsequent approval by the senior member of
- Set up / maintain office administration systems as required to assist in the smooth running of the
- When required, assist with the orientation of new / temporary staff including junior doctors and
medical students, and promote team working.
- Adhere to all confidential and sensitive information as per the Data Protection legislation and NHS
- Acquire and maintain Medical Terminology to support development in role.
- Attend regular team meetings to discuss work issues.
- Provide flexible cover and backup support for other members of the team as required.
- To support NHS Lothian’s values of quality, teamwork, care and compassion, dignity and respect,
and openness, honesty and responsibility through the application of appropriate behaviours and
You can read the full job advertisement and apply for the post online here. The closing date for applications is Monday 30 October 2023.