Police Scotland have released some advice to make sure you have a safe and crime free Christmas as part of their new festive safety campaign.
The Festive Safety campaign’s key crime prevention tips including:
- Ensure your bag is closed and your purse or wallet is not easily accessible when you’re out shopping or partying.
- Don’t leave any purchases on display in your car and park your vehicle in a secure, well-lit area.
- Think before you post photos or check-ins on social media; you may be advertising your home as being empty. If in doubt don’t post it online – it could also cause someone serious embarrassment.
- Only use trusted sites when shopping online – look for the ‘padlock’ in the address line before entering details.
- Plan your journey home from a Christmas night out, don’t leave drinks unattended, stay with your friends and look out for each other.
- Don’t use drugs or New Psychoactive Substances – why risk your life?
- Keep your home secure, lock all windows and doors, and switch on the alarm if you have one.
- Protect any gifts you’ve bought for your friends and family. Get them to register mobiles, tablets, laptops and cameras at www.immobilise.com. Don’t give them a good quality bike without giving them a good quality lock, and register bikes at www.BikeRegister.com.
Superintendent Ross Aitken, Police Scotland Safer Communities, said:
Communities across Scotland become busier day and night over the festive period with shoppers and people out celebrating. Police Scotland wants to ensure people have a great time this Christmas by providing some basic prevention advice – whether shopping, socialising, within the home or online.
Unfortunately there are those who exploit the festive period for the wrong reasons. Prevention is essential in removing opportunities for criminals.
On the run up to Christmas everyone is busy making preparations, whether out shopping, buying gifts online or out celebrating with friends and family. We are asking you to take a moment to think about the simple preventative measures you can take to discourage criminals and to stay safe. Our message is simple ‘This Christmas, Keep Safe’.
Police Scotland’s Festive Safety Campaign runs from 18 November to 25 December 2015. For more information visit their Festive Safety campaign page which provides important information to help you stay safe this Festive Period.