The Wester Hailes Community Trust has funding available for local people and groups to help celebrate Wester Hailes 50th Anniversary and make this a year to remember.
There is already plenty of great events and activities planned including:
- World Disco Soup Day – a joint celebration by Tasting Change, the Health Agency and other local organisations to commemorate the Tasting Change project and get the 50th celebrations started
- June will see the annual Fun Run, with special added 50th celebrations and a Summer Festival with the Open Heavens Church which promises to have music a barbecue and more.
- Over the Summer SCOREscotland will be holding a football tournament with their youth groups and WHALE hope to run Wester Hailes very own dog show and Baby naming ceremonies to celebrate babies born throughout this anniversary year.
- In September their will be a parade to Hailes Quarry park with Edinburgh and Lothians Greenspace Trust and WHALE Arts.
- Towards the end of the year Prospect hope to plant 50 trees in the area as a lasting legacy to the 50th celebrations and WHALE hopes to hold a torchlight parade.
The Trust are hoping that this is just the start of the celebrations. They have plenty of other ideas ranging from joint birthday parties for people turning 50, to film screenings of Wester Hailes favourites.
If you have an idea or are involved with a group running an event this year that you think could be part of the 50th celebrations then get in touch with the Wester Hailes Community Trust on 0131 458 3267 or email@example.com.