Edinburgh Community Food are delivering a REHIS Elementary Food and Health course over 2 days via Zoom.
The free course will take place on Thursday 22rd and Friday 23rd September 9:30-1pm. Participants must attend both sessions.
This informative and useful course is packed with clearly delivered information that aims to cut through all the mixed messages around nutrition. It is designed for anyone with an interest in food and for those who work with food in any capacity, including: carers, home-helps, nursery staff, café staff/caterers and those whose voluntary role involves food preparation or handling.
What do you get out of it?
- Gain a clear understanding of general nutrition
- Gain practically applicable knowledge for the workplace and the home
- Understand the consequences of eating habits on health and disease
- Discuss the roles of carbohydrates, protein, fruit & vegetables, fat and fibre
- Understand the role of vitamins, minerals and trace elements
- Gain insight into maintaining a healthy weight
- Identify different ways of preparing and cooking foods for a healthy diet
- Learn how to make sense of food labelling
Who is it suitable for?
The course is open to everyone and is suitable for all who are interested in nutrition and healthy eating, along with those whose work or volunteering involves the handling or preparation of food.
Topics covered are:
- An Introduction to Food & Health
- The Function of Food
- Energy Measure and Influences on Food Intake
- Eating for Health: Food and Well Being
- Putting it all Together – Action Planning